Richardson Ford Celebrating 100 Years
A FAMILY BUSINESS FOR FOUR GENERATIONS CELEBRATING 100 YEARS
After over 100 years in business Richardson’s is one of the oldest established businesses in the area still owned and managed by the same family after four generations.
Established in 1919, owners Paul & Toby Richardson are naturally very proud of their heritage, built over many years of providing services to the agricultural and motor industry throughout the East Riding of Yorkshire.
The business was established over 100 years ago in early part of the 20th Century by George Percival Pexton Richardson. George, a corn merchant married the love of his life Annie Maria (nee Pexton) who gave birth to their son Percy. At an early age Percy moved to Norton to live with his uncle John Fawcett Richardson and his family and then moved to Driffield to work on traction engines, gas engines and other steam machinery. Steam operated machinery was very much the motive power at the time.
The business was established by Percy in 1919 in Orchard Lane off Eastgate North. Possibly earlier from documentaries listed in recently discovered diaries. He later moved the business to Middle Street Driffield. As an engineer Percy worked with local farms, Driffield Water Works, Driffield Pure Oil, Cake and Linseed Mill, Thirsks Mill and many others in the surrounding area of Haywold, Kellythorpre, Pockthorpe, Bridlington and South Dalton. Agricultural machinery was very much a part of the business and he held agencies for Oliver tractors, machinery and Standard cars.
In 1927 the Ford car and tractor agency was acquired and with the help of his oldest son Alec Richardson the company developed, introducing farm fuel delivery service in the early 50’s.
In 1958 the company expanded its agricultural operations with the opening of a Ford Dealership in Holderness which Alec opened and ran for the next 25 years until his death at the early age of 55 years young. The management of the company was carried on by his son Paul and Alec’s brother, Geoffrey. They continued to grow the business and purchased the long established dealership Ripley’s in Bridlington adding to their portfolio of Hull Bridge Garage near Tickton and an agricultural dealership in Ganton.
Eventually in 1982 the Company decided to concentrate on the car business selling all their agricultural operations.
Some thirty or so years ago Richardson’s purchased the premises of what used to be Trenery’s Central Garage which fronted onto Hilderthorpe Road and Savage Road. A little later the opportunity arose to buy the adjacent property which at that time was a Jacksons Supermarket. Despite the traumatic period in 1993 when a disastrous fire resulted in the major redevelopment of the Driffield Dealership the growth of the company was still firmly in mind. In 2004 the decision was made to redevelop and relocate Richardson’s to the site bordered by Hilderthorpe Road Hamilton Road and Savage Road Bridlington. Architects were appointed and the development commenced in early 2006. Following the company’s policy the main contractor and most of the sub-contractors were local companies. The result was a state of the art Ford dealership where customers were catered for. This Bridlington business now celebrates 100 years as a Ford Dealer.
Paul, Toby and the team pride themselves and focus on outstanding customer service. For over a hundred years, the team has worked hard to service customers through sales and aftersales care. They are exceptionally proud of the high percentage of repeat business and recommendations enjoyed each year.
Richardson’s have gained unique recognition for their high standard of customer service, having won the Ford Chairman’s Award on two separate occasions and have also been runners up twice. This prestigious award is based on the returns from customers in which their judgement of quality of service received from their dealer are assessed.
Richardson’s have excellent relations with their Ford manufacturer partner who recognise the high standards in customer care. Richardson Ford is registered with the Motor Industry Code of Practice and stock a large variety of new and used vehicles at two dealerships located at Driffield & Bridlington.
Both locations have Service Centres and a Paint & Bodyshop Repair Centre is located at Bridlington with excellent highly trained technicians who have unrivalled knowledge of Ford vehicles and are equipped to carry out all repairs on all makes and models.
Richardson Ford always looks forward to welcoming you!
New & Used Car Sales. Please note our Car Sales, Showrooms & Forecourts…Read more >